Do you know that sensation where you want to eat something delicious, bad, with a lot of flavors that travel around your nostrils and nervous system? That is what happened to me yesterday.
How to make a perfect day if not with a great burger and couple of beers?
But wait, I am vegan, right? So… supposedly I can not have a burger; or If I have one it will be with soy, no taste and crumbly. How do you substitute the egg? How do you even try to make a patty that could at least look like beef if not taste actually better than a regular burger?
Well… this is the VeganismFunLand I call it, where you can use any ingredient you want and make anything you want. Today it is about 2Shots Burger.
Patty time! I mean, Party time.
- fresh mushrooms (4-5 large ones for 4 patties)
- kidney beans (washed them good in cold water!)
- flax seeds
- sun flower seeds
- soy sauce
- sweet paprika
- cayenne pepper
- black pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- pickled cucumber (if you like it)
- dijon mustard with horseradish
- yellow classic mustard
- potatoes of choice – sweet, purple, yellow, red
- Chop them mushrooms into cubes, small or medium doesn’t matter because they will loose their volume in pan. I like to taste the mushroom and bite into it so I have bigger cubes; if you would rather have a smooth patty, dices those mushrooms good.
- I added my mushrooms in a hot pan (no oil) with 2 spoons of soy sauce, 1 table spoon of dill and thyme; from time to time I drizzle a little bit of water – 2 spoons of water – over mushrooms to make sure they keep they moisture.
- After 25 minutes – 30 minutes, mushrooms are ready and I put them aside in a large bowl.
- I sliced that big yellow onion and added it in pan with black pepper, thyme, cayenne pepper, sweet paprika( NO OIL BELIEVE ME!) – how to caramelize an onion without oil? – just let it cook there by itself; don’t disturb it for 3 minutes at a medium heat; do you see something that might look like burn? Good, now add 2 spoons of water. Mix a little bit. The smell intensifies and it get an interesting color. You will feel the right consistency. Add more water, mix some more and let it cook peacefully; in 15 minutes its done. Put it aside. Taste it and do it again next time the way you want!
- On top of mushrooms I added kidney beans rinsed carefully and mashed – it’s important to mashed them if you want a fine patty, or there could be some intact beans for color and bite.
- Flax seeds! How can I get that egg consistency? Soak half of a 250 grams ( 8.8 ounces) of flax seeds in cold water, open the microwave, set it for 2 minutes first. Take it out, stir and look for The Miracle. If it’s not pasty – gluey yet, set it for another 2 minutes. After that it will bubble and you will see some white on the top. Stir and let it aside for couple of minutes and then add it in the patty mixture. This is The Egg Substitute. It is so good for immune system, and delicious by itself or in the morning with oats. But this is another story. Let’s keep our Path!
Let’s Make the Patties!
- Grab a handful of patty, as big as you want. Roll it in your hand, then press it a little bit. Do the same operation 3 more times ( they will be big!).
- I had a hot pan ready to go ( No Oil; they will not stick!) and I added 2 by 2 paddies at time.
- When you flip them twice ( 3-4 minutes per side) add a slice of vegan cheese of your choice on top of patty.
- I started assembling my burger with: mustard with horseradish on bottom bun, lettuce, patty with vegan cheese on top, caramelized onions (no, we don’t forget about them), a slice of tomato, picked cucumber and classic yellow mustard on top bun. Yes, It was Divine.
- Grab your bun, add any vegetable you want, any dressing and…take a bite. I know.